Length – 7.5 miles
This walk has plenty of variety. We follow both an ancient packhorse route, and national trails, including the Trans Pennine Trail (TPT). We then reach open moorland, following the line of the Woodhead Railway Tunnels, via the line of three ventilator shafts which allowed the escape of smoke from steam trains.
- Grade – Well defined paths. Some rough ground and stiles. Steady climbs. Some rocky footing. Parts can be muddy and slippy in wet weather. There is one section of yomping across moorland.
- Start and Parking – Yorkshire Water, Windleden Lane Car Park SE 152 020. This car park is on Windle Edge, above Dunford Bridge.
- Maps – OL1 Dark Peak, OS Explorer 278/288
- Public transport – There are three bus routes to Dunford Bridge: 29 (Sheffield/Holmfirth), 401 (Millhouse Green/Penistone) and 491 (Millhouse Green/Dunford Bridge).
- Refreshments – none on this route
- Public Toilets – none on this route
Map of the walk
This document was produced by and is copyright to the Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome group. Walkers are Welcome UK is a nationwide network which aims to encourage towns and villages to be ‘welcoming to walkers’.
Material on the website is provided for information purposes only. Whilst every care is taken in compiling the information on the website we do not make any warranties or representations as to its accuracy or reliability. We may make changes to the material on the website at any time without notice. Certain information on the website may contain typographical or other errors or be out of date, and we make no commitment to update such information. We and any third parties referred to on the website assume no responsibility for how you use the information provided through the website.
Except where expressly stated to the contrary, copyright in the text, graphics and information contained in this web site (including downloads) is owned by Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome. You may print, or download to a personal computer, extracts for personal use.
Permanent copying and/or storage of whole or part of this web site or the information contained therein or reproduction or incorporation of any part of it in any other work or publication whether paper or electronic media or any other form is expressly prohibited unless agreed otherwise.
Copyright Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome 2010 – 2020