Length – 12.5 miles
This walk takes in the peaks of three of the hills around Penistone, Hartcliffe Hill, Royd Moor and Hoylandswaine Trig Point. The route has excellent views across the whole area from Derwent and Howden Edges in the Peak District National Park across Barnsley and beyond.
- Length 12.5 miles (20 km)
- Grade – Mostly well-defined paths, rough ground and stiles, steep in sections.
- Start – Penistone TPT/skate park car park (behind Tesco)
- Grid Reference – SK 244 034
- Maps – OL1 Dark Peak
- Parking – in the small free car park behind a row of houses, adjacent to the park.
- Public transport – Penistone Station is 400 m along the Trans-Pennine Trail (TPT) in the opposite direction to the start. Several bus services visit Penistone. Destinations include: Barnsley, Chapletown, Holmfirth and Sheffield.
- Refreshments – there are several cafes and pubs in Millhouse Green, Penistone and Thurlstone.
- Public Toilets – Opposite the church on Shrewsbury Road (Penistone).
Map of the walk
This document was produced by and is copyright to the Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome group. Walkers are Welcome UK is a nationwide network which aims to encourage towns and villages to be ‘welcoming to walkers’.
Material on the website is provided for information purposes only. Whilst every care is taken in compiling the information on the website we do not make any warranties or representations as to its accuracy or reliability. We may make changes to the material on the website at any time without notice. Certain information on the website may contain typographical or other errors or be out of date, and we make no commitment to update such information. We and any third parties referred to on the website assume no responsibility for how you use the information provided through the website.
Except where expressly stated to the contrary, copyright in the text, graphics and information contained in this web site (including downloads) is owned by Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome. You may print, or download to a personal computer, extracts for personal use.
Permanent copying and/or storage of whole or part of this web site or the information contained therein or reproduction or incorporation of any part of it in any other work or publication whether paper or electronic media or any other form is expressly prohibited unless agreed otherwise.
Copyright Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome 2021