Parkwood Springs walk takes in this natural ‘wild’ space close to the centre of the city of Sheffield. There is woodland and heath, open parkland, and a range of natural habitats where wild lupins bloom, kestrels hover, and deer have been seen. There are spectacular views over the city centre, the suburbs and the distant moors of the Peak District. The word ‘spring’ in ‘Parkwood Springs’ has nothing to do with water but lots to do with the old woodlands. You also pass alongside the River Don and visit Wardsend, an abandoned Victorian cemetery. More information is available from the Friends of Parkwood Springs and the Friends of Wardsend Cemetery.
- Length – 4 miles (6.4 km)
- Grade – Mostly well-defined paths. Some rough ground. No stiles. Steady climbs. Some rocky footing. Parts can be muddy and slippy in wet weather. Some road walking.
- Start – Shirecliffe Road/Cooks Wood Road entrance to Parkwood Springs. S3 9AA
- Grid Reference – SK 352 896
- Parking – street parking or car park
- Maps – OS Explorer map: 278: Sheffield & Barnsley
- Public transport – Bus routes 18, 18a, 20, 83, 83a, 784 and H1 pass the start point. The 7, 8 and 8a travel along Neepsend Lane, close to (6).
- Refreshments – none on this route. However, various pubs are nearby including the Gardeners Rest .
- Public Toilets – none on this route
Map of the walk
This document was produced by and is copyright to the Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome group. Walkers are Welcome UK is a nationwide network which aims to encourage towns and villages to be ‘welcoming to walkers’.
Material on the website is provided for information purposes only. Whilst every care is taken in compiling the information on the website we do not make any warranties or representations as to its accuracy or reliability. We may make changes to the material on the website at any time without notice. Certain information on the website may contain typographical or other errors or be out of date, and we make no commitment to update such information. We and any third parties referred to on the website assume no responsibility for how you use the information provided through the website.
Except where expressly stated to the contrary, copyright in the text, graphics and information contained in this web site (including downloads) is owned by Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome. You may print, or download to a personal computer, extracts for personal use.
Permanent copying and/or storage of whole or part of this web site or the information contained therein or reproduction or incorporation of any part of it in any other work or publication whether paper or electronic media or any other form is expressly prohibited unless agreed otherwise.
Copyright Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome 2021