Length – 5.0 or 6.0 miles
An undulating walk which goes over Hunshelf Bank to Green Moor before dropping down into the Upper Don Valley. the route then climbs up to the Trans Pennine Trail and then down under the Rumtickle Viaduct before passing Huthwaite Hall. The route returns by the side of the River Don and open farmland.
The route passes a number of sites of historical interest including quarries, mills, railways and old houses. There are interpretation boards in Green Moor which explain some of the area’s industrial heritage.
- Grade – Undulating walk along well marked paths. Some rough ground with stiles and gates. Some sections can be boggy following wet weather. There are stepping stones across the River Don. If these are impassable, the distance reduces from 6 miles to 5.
- Start – Finkle Street Trans Pennine Trail Car Park,
- Public transport – the 23 Penistone/Stocksbridge/Barnsley bus passes the car park entrance.
- Refreshments – The Bridge Inn, Thurgoland.
- Public Toilets – None on the route
- Grid Reference – SK299993
Map of the walk
This document was produced by and is copyright to the Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome group. Walkers are Welcome UK is a nationwide network which aims to encourage towns and villages to be ‘welcoming to walkers’.
Material on the website is provided for information purposes only. Whilst every care is taken in compiling the information on the website we do not make any warranties or representations as to its accuracy or reliability. We may make changes to the material on the website at any time without notice. Certain information on the website may contain typographical or other errors or be out of date, and we make no commitment to update such information. We and any third parties referred to on the website assume no responsibility for how you use the information provided through the website.
Except where expressly stated to the contrary, copyright in the text, graphics and information contained in this web site (including downloads) is owned by Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome. You may print, or download to a personal computer, extracts for personal use.
Permanent copying and/or storage of whole or part of this web site or the information contained therein or reproduction or incorporation of any part of it in any other work or publication whether paper or electronic media or any other form is expressly prohibited unless agreed otherwise.
Copyright Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome 2010 – 2020