Length – 6.4 miles
This linear walk takes you from Denby Dale Railway Station to Penistone Station via Upper Denby, Gunthwaite Tithe Barn, Scout Dike Reservoir and Thurlstone. We suggest that you start in Penistone and use the hourly train service (Northern Trains) to reach Denby Dale before returning on foot. The train journey lasts seven minutes.
• Grade – Mostly well-defined paths, bridleway and roads. There are stiles at field boundaries. Some sections can be muddy
• Start – Denby Dale Railway Station
• Grid reference – SE 224 085
• Maps – OL1 Dark Peak, OS Explorer 278/288
• Parking – (i) Denby Dale Railway Station or street parking (ii) Penistone Railway Station, street parking in Penistone or the Trans Penning Trail (TPT) car park in Penistone (behind Tesco: take the exit after the Tesco exit at the roundabout)
• Public transport – Penistone Railway Station is 400 m East along the trail from the car park suggested above. Several bus services visit both Denby Dale and Penistone. Destinations include: Barnsley, Chapletown, Holmfirth and Sheffield
• Refreshments – there are several cafes and pubs in Denby Dale, Upper Denby and Penistone
• Public Toilets – none on this route
Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome walks can be found as recommended routes on the OS Maps App for mobile phones , tablets and pc.
Map of the walk
This document was produced by and is copyright to the Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome group. Walkers are Welcome UK is a nationwide network which aims to encourage towns and villages to be ‘welcoming to walkers’.
Material on the website is provided for information purposes only. Whilst every care is taken in compiling the information on the website we do not make any warranties or representations as to its accuracy or reliability. We may make changes to the material on the website at any time without notice. Certain information on the website may contain typographical or other errors or be out of date, and we make no commitment to update such information. We and any third parties referred to on the website assume no responsibility for how you use the information provided through the website.
Except where expressly stated to the contrary, copyright in the text, graphics and information contained in this web site (including downloads) is owned by Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome. You may print, or download to a personal computer, extracts for personal use.
Permanent copying and/or storage of whole or part of this web site or the information contained therein or reproduction or incorporation of any part of it in any other work or publication whether paper or electronic media or any other form is expressly prohibited unless agreed otherwise.
Copyright Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome 2021