Length – 7.5 miles
This walk has plenty of variety. From Elsecar, we pass through woodland before reaching the first of a number of follies. We then circumnavigate parts of the Wentworth Woodhouse estate, passing through a landscaped deer park before returning to Elsecar, via woods. Wentworth Park has both Red and Fallow Deer. The deer give birth in June/July. The rut starts in October and the stags can become protective of their herds at both these times.
- Grade – Well defined paths. Some rough ground, rocky footing and stiles. Steady climbs. Parts can be muddy and slippy in wet weather. Some road walking is included.
- Start – Elsecar Heritage Centre car park. This walk may also be commenced from Wentworth (10)
- Grid Reference – SK 386 999
- Maps – OS Explorer 278
- Parking – Elsecar Heritage Centre Car Park, Wentworth
- Public transport – The 227 bus (Rotherham – Hoyland) passes through both Elsecar and Wentworth. The 44 route (Rotherham – Chapeltown) passes through Wentworth
- Refreshments – pubs and cafes in both Elsecar and Wentworth
- Public Toilets – Elsecar Heritage Centre, Wentworth Garden Centre
Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome walks can be found as recommended routes on the OS Maps App for mobile phones , tablets and pc.
Map of the walk
This document was produced by and is copyright to the Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome group. Walkers are Welcome UK is a nationwide network which aims to encourage towns and villages to be ‘welcoming to walkers’.
Material on the website is provided for information purposes only. Whilst every care is taken in compiling the information on the website we do not make any warranties or representations as to its accuracy or reliability. We may make changes to the material on the website at any time without notice. Certain information on the website may contain typographical or other errors or be out of date, and we make no commitment to update such information. We and any third parties referred to on the website assume no responsibility for how you use the information provided through the website.
Except where expressly stated to the contrary, copyright in the text, graphics and information contained in this web site (including downloads) is owned by Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome. You may print, or download to a personal computer, extracts for personal use.
Permanent copying and/or storage of whole or part of this web site or the information contained therein or reproduction or incorporation of any part of it in any other work or publication whether paper or electronic media or any other form is expressly prohibited unless agreed otherwise.
Copyright Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome 2021