Length – 5.5 miles
This walk has plenty of variety. From Upperthong, we descend across fields and through woods to the Woodhead Road. We then climb above Holmfirth before dropping down, passing through the town and taking a steep climb before returning.
- Grade – Well defined paths. Some rough ground and stiles. Both steep and steady climbs, including two long strenuous climbs. Some rocky footing. Parts can be muddy and slippy in wet weather
- Start -Upperthong Village. This walk may also be commenced from the centre of Holmfirth (13) Grid Reference – SE 129 084
- Parking in Upperthong – on the road in the village HD9 3UX
Parking in Holmfirth: Crown Bottom Public Car Park: £2.00/car for up to 4 hours – includes a £2.00 voucher which can be redeemed in the Co-op supermarket (Oct 2017 prices)
- Public transport – A number of bus routes pass through Holmfirth. The 316 and H5 run from Holmfirth to Upperthong
- Refreshments – Royal Oak (Upperthong). Plenty of pubs and cafes in Holmfirth
- Public Toilets – Crowden car park
- Map OL1 Dark Peak OS Explorer 288
Map of the walk
This document was produced by and is copyright to the Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome group. Walkers are Welcome UK is a nationwide network which aims to encourage towns and villages to be ‘welcoming to walkers’.
Material on the website is provided for information purposes only. Whilst every care is taken in compiling the information on the website we do not make any warranties or representations as to its accuracy or reliability. We may make changes to the material on the website at any time without notice. Certain information on the website may contain typographical or other errors or be out of date, and we make no commitment to update such information. We and any third parties referred to on the website assume no responsibility for how you use the information provided through the website.
Except where expressly stated to the contrary, copyright in the text, graphics and information contained in this web site (including downloads) is owned by Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome. You may print, or download to a personal computer, extracts for personal use.
Permanent copying and/or storage of whole or part of this web site or the information contained therein or reproduction or incorporation of any part of it in any other work or publication whether paper or electronic media or any other form is expressly prohibited unless agreed otherwise.
Copyright Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome 2010 – 2020