Length – 3.5 miles
A walk that encompasses a variety of landscapes, from the steel works, retail park, farmland, paths between hedgerows, to open views across the valley to the moors beyond. The walk goes past Fox Valley, through part of the steel works before climbing onto Hunshelf Bank above Stocksbridge before returning to the start point at Stocksbridge Town Hall.
- Grade – A combination of roads, tracks and field and lots of stiles, Some paths are not clear or marked but are easy to find with instructions
- Start – Stocksbridge Town Hall, Manchester Road, Stocksbridge S36 2DT
- Grid Reference – SK 273 984
- Maps – OL1 Dark Peak, OS Explorer 278
- Parking – Lidl Car Park (opposite Town Hall), use the public section at the far end
- Alternatively, you may wish to park near Underbank reservoir and join the walk at (6)
- Public transport – 23, 24, 57, 201 and SL1/1A bus routes
- Refreshments – Various cafes and shops in Fox Valley and the town centre
- Public Toilets – none on this route
Map of the walk
This document was produced by and is copyright to the Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome group. Walkers are Welcome UK is a nationwide network which aims to encourage towns and villages to be ‘welcoming to walkers’.
Material on the website is provided for information purposes only. Whilst every care is taken in compiling the information on the website we do not make any warranties or representations as to its accuracy or reliability. We may make changes to the material on the website at any time without notice. Certain information on the website may contain typographical or other errors or be out of date, and we make no commitment to update such information. We and any third parties referred to on the website assume no responsibility for how you use the information provided through the website.
Except where expressly stated to the contrary, copyright in the text, graphics and information contained in this web site (including downloads) is owned by Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome. You may print, or download to a personal computer, extracts for personal use.
Permanent copying and/or storage of whole or part of this web site or the information contained therein or reproduction or incorporation of any part of it in any other work or publication whether paper or electronic media or any other form is expressly prohibited unless agreed otherwise.
Copyright Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome 2021