This walk is sponsored by
Length – 6.5 miles
The first section follows the southern bank of Underbank Reservoir to Midhopestones. We then climb steeply by the old route of Mortimer Road before utilising part of the Penistone Boundary Trail. We return over Roughbirchworth Common before passing an eighteenth century guide-stoop.
- Grade – Mostly well-defined paths, stiles and steady ascents. The climb from Midhopestones is quite steep (4 – 6)
- Start – Unsliven Road, Stocksbridge. Alternatively, you could start in Midhopestones or at Cubley Hall
- Grid Reference -SK 254 991
- Public transport – the 57 and SL1 bus services both use the A6102. The 57 terminates at Unsliven Bridge, allowing you to join the route at the start. Bus and train services serve Penistone
- Refreshments -Silver Fox (Stocksbridge) close to the start point, Mustard Pot (Midhopestones), Cubley Hall (Penistone), café at Underbank Outdoor Activity Centre
Map of the walk
This document was produced by and is copyright to the Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome group. Walkers are Welcome UK is a nationwide network which aims to encourage towns and villages to be ‘welcoming to walkers’.
Material on the website is provided for information purposes only. Whilst every care is taken in compiling the information on the website we do not make any warranties or representations as to its accuracy or reliability. We may make changes to the material on the website at any time without notice. Certain information on the website may contain typographical or other errors or be out of date, and we make no commitment to update such information. We and any third parties referred to on the website assume no responsibility for how you use the information provided through the website.
Except where expressly stated to the contrary, copyright in the text, graphics and information contained in this web site (including downloads) is owned by Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome. You may print, or download to a personal computer, extracts for personal use.
Permanent copying and/or storage of whole or part of this web site or the information contained therein or reproduction or incorporation of any part of it in any other work or publication whether paper or electronic media or any other form is expressly prohibited unless agreed otherwise.
Copyright Stocksbridge Walkers are Welcome 2021